Kazimierz Wielki University
would like to invite to
Nationwide scientific conference
They eat, drink and smoke. Cultural aspects of using stimulants through the ages
The Conference will be held in Bydgoszcz, Poland on 5th-6th of March 2015.
PURPOSE OF THE CONFERENCE
Title of the conference, quote from “Ms Twardowska” by Adam Mickiewicz, somehow automatically indicates the research issues of eating, drinking and smoking. We will focus our attention on elements of the quote, associated with products of the food industry, which in general don’t have nutritional value, and only so-called psychotropic, stimulating in more or less harmful way nervous system under the influence of germs therein chemicals such as ethanol, caffeine, theine, nicotine. We want to discuss the cultural-social aspect of using stimulants (tobacco, snuff, hallucinogenic substance, coffee, alcohol etc.) by the humans through entire history based on both written and unwritten sources.
The conference is intended by the organizers include a number of important research areas for culture. It will be an attempt of presentation how stimulants were used in in different contexts, cultures and different historical time–what purposes they were used. For this reason we treat the conference as the interdisciplinary meeting and we are directing the invitation to anthropologists, archaeologists, philologists, folklorists, historians of the culture, historians of the art, culture experts, literature-specialists, sociologists and all researchers who could share interesting reflections concerning the role and meaning of stimulants in the culture.
We propose the following thematic scopes of papers:
- stimulants in the range of practices and communication activities;
- stimulants as signs of the identity;
- stimulants in the practice of everyday life;
- stimulants in the country and in the city – transformations of consumption habits;
- stimulants in the culinary discourse;
- the place of consumption of stimulants and their culture creating roles;
- stimulants and health;
- stimulants as the element of the culinary tourism;
- stimulants as a part of the cultural heritage.
These issues certainly don`t cover all problematic aspects. They could only indicate the direction of further investigations.
1. The Conference will be held in Bydgoszcz, Poland on 5th-6th of March 2015.
2. Place of meeting:
Kazimierz Wielki University,
M. Kopernika Street no 1, 85-074 Bydgoszcz.
3. For giving a lecture we give 20 minutes and for giving an announcement 10 minutes.
4. Conference language: Polish, English. Publication language: English.
5. Registration for the conference could be made by sending the registration form (form attached). Please send your application together with an abstract to 30th of January 2015. The authors will be informed about the acceptance of their papers and placing them in the conference program.
6. The conference fee is PLN 350 (does not include accommodation- we do not provide accommodation, however, Bydgoszcz offers a wide range of accommodation possibilities. Further details available at the following website: www.booking.com).
7. The fee should be paid to 10.02.2015 at the following account number with the note JEDZĄ, PIJĄ, LULKI PALĄ
Account holder: Uniwersytet Kazimierza Wielkiego w Bydgoszczy
Account number: 92 1500 1360 1213 6001 8602 0000
8. Please send correspondence to the following address:
Instytut Historii i Stosunków Międzynarodowych
ul. Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego 12
with the note JEDZĄ, PIJĄ, LULKI PALĄ
or e-mail to the organizers at the address
9. Phone contact with the organizers:
dr Justyna Żychlińska: 606216841
dr Anetta Głowacka-Penczyńska: 602157155
10. Further information will be send in the next communication.