invites to take part in
the International Scientific Conference
Sport in Sociology. Sociology about sport,
which will be held in Poznan, Poland,
21-22 April 2016.
In the last few years one can observe the growing interest of Polish sociologists in the sports issues. A symbolic beginning of this period was the decision announced in April 2007 to entrust Poland and Ukraine with the joint organization of the UEFA European Football Championship. Since that time, the number of publications and conferences on sport has been systematically growing. To a large extent, however, they concern football which results both from the organization of the UEFA Euro 2012 by Poland (and Ukraine), as well as the popularity of this discipline in Poland. As a consequence, the researchers working on other areas of sports remain marginalized.
We are convinced that it is a good time to take a closer look at Polish sociology of sport and its research in a reference to European status of this sub-discipline. Therefore, the aim of our conference is to bring together the researchers interested in sociological sports studies in order to discuss a status of the sociology of sport in Poland, present ongoing and realized projects, share research experiences and outline prospects for future development. At the same time, we want to invite foreign guests to discuss and compare the paths of development of the sociology of sport in Poland with other European countries.
The official languages of the conference will be English and Polish.
- The significance of sport as a topic of sociological reflection /the significance of the sociology of sport for sociology;
- The specificity of the sociology of sport in Poland – the status of sub-discipline, the characteristics of the Polish research compared to the foreign studies, the main challenges of Polish sociology of sport;
- Research methodology – methods and techniques used in research process; the main methodological challenges; own methodological experiences; ethical dilemmas;
- What is studied and what should be studied? The explored areas of research, the research perspectives, the black holes, the contributions to further research;
- The ongoing research projects – reports, commentaries, challenges, fieldwork notes;
- Sport, sociology, public policy – a role of (the sociology of) sport in social policy, resolving social problems, public management;
- The projected development dynamics – a development of the sub-discipline, new issues, the research trends;
- Teaching – the ways to learn the sociology of sport, own experiences in teaching, the reading lists.
The conference fee: 200PLN.
The abstract should be sent on the attached application form to email@example.com until 31 January 2016. We invite to send the abstracts in Polish or in English.
More logistic and organizational details will be send to the participants after the abstract´s acceptance.